Monday, May 2, 2011

Sami Hyypia retires at the age of 37

Liverpool legend, Sami Hyypia, announced his retirement from professional football and brings an end to his wonderful playing career.

Sami has always held a special place in the hearts of many Liverpool fans after a decade with the Reds. Signed from Willem II in 1999 for a fee of £2.5 million, Hyypia made his name as a dominant figure in the Liverpool back line. While he never won the league with Liverpool, he has won plenty with the club. He was apart of the historic treble winning team in 2001 and the amazing Champions League win in 2005. He also captained the club for a spell from 2001 to 2003 before Steven Gerrard took over that role.

"The decision to retire grew during the season,"

"I had no interest any more to go elsewhere to play.

"There are no regrets. Thanks to all those who have helped during the course of my career and to my relatives a big thank you, without family and friends it would not have been possible."


Sami has now set his sights on coaching as he looks to get his coaching license

"I must get a coaching licence and then I get the experience of Leverkusen and the national team coaching.

"I'm really happy about this. All who know me know I put myself fully into it. It is 100% or nothing."

Read More http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9473124.stm

No comments: